Learning Goals for
Inorganic and Materials Lab (448)
On completion of this course, students should
- be proficient in the synthesis of organic, inorganic, and organometallic
compounds, including the use of air-sensitive techniques with
Schlenk lines and glove boxes.
- know how to interpret spectral and other characterization data for
synthesized compounds (IR, UV-Vis, NMR, GCMS, GPC, and cyclic
- understand the principles behind structure determination using
single crystal X-ray diffraction methods
- understand the principles of catalysis, be able to determine
turnover frequencies, and know how to identify key steps in catalytic
- understand the principles of polymer chemistry, and know how to
determine polymer molecular weights and polydispersities.