Learning Goals for
Inorganic Chemistry I (313)
On completion of this course, students should
- have a qualitative understanding of atomic and molecular structure,
including the shapes of atomic orbitals and simple inorganic molecules.
- be able to interpret 1D proton, carbon-13, and mutinuclear NMR spectra.
- understand the principles of symmetry in order to assign point groups
and use character tables.
- know how to interpret and predict molecular orbital diagrams for
simple molecules using symmetry, and use the results to explain
structure and reactivity.
- understand basic solid-state structure, including band theory and
- know Lewis acid/base concepts, the chemistry of hydrogen, and the
chemistry of simple main-group hydrides, oxides, and halides.