The Department of Chemistry at the Newark campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, welcomes your interest in our graduate program. The Department of Chemistry at Rutgers-Newark offers a number of distinct advantages for those seeking an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in chemistry, either on a full-time or part-time basis.
Financial Support for Full-Time Students
- Full-time Ph.D. students are financially supported either through fellowships, graduate (research) assistantships, or teaching assistantships. The starting assistantship stipend for 2013-2014 is $25,959, including full health benefits, and with tuition and fees waived. Financial support is only available for full-time students in the Ph.D. program.
- Qualified students are encouraged to apply for support from the Rutgers-Newark Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) program.
- Most full-time students interested in the Ph.D. degree apply directly to the Ph.D. program. It is not necessary to first complete the M.S. degree.
Part-Time Graduate Study
- All of the program courses and requirements are arranged to allow working scientists to pursue a graduate degree on a part-time basis. Courses, qualifying examinations, and all general program requirements are offered during the evening or on weekends.
- Part-time students often begin graduate study by taking graduate courses on a nondegree basis. The nondegree application process is minimal, and up to 12 credits of courses can be applied to degree requirements once a student is accepted to a degree program.
- Most part-time students complete a M.S. degree before deciding to applying to the Ph.D. program.
The New Jersey/New York Metropolitan Area
- Situated in the business and financial center of New Jersey, Rutgers-Newark is within 15 minutes of all major transportation systems, including Newark International Airport, New Jersey Transit and PATH railroad lines, and the New Jersey Turnpike. New York City can be reached within 20 minutes by train, Philadelphia within an hour by train, and Washington D.C. within an hour by plane.